Thursday, August 20, 2009

Basic White Rice


White Rice is one of the basic and daily dishes prepared all over India.Its silly to even talk about the recipe or process of making it.But there are some poor souls out there like me.When my MIL was with us she taught me some of the basic cooking.Assuming that i knew how to make rice that too being a south-indian she never tried to teach me.I never had the courage to ask her how to make something as simple and as basic as rice.So,when I first tried to make it,I used 4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and left it for 5 whistles.What I got could not even come under the rice family.It was a goop of some kind.So for people like me out there,here is the recipe or rather the process of making rice.

Ingredients

Raw rice- 1 cup,
Water- 2 cups.

Method
Wash the rice well until the starchy colour reduces and the water becomes transparent.Soak it for 15 mins.I always pressure cook it or cook it in the microwave.I personally prefer the texture of rice cooked in the pressure cooker.Put the washed and drained rice in the pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water.Cook for 2 whistles on high flame and turn off the cooker.Let it sit till the pressure leaves.Steaming hot rice is now ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment